Selection of a stainless steel alloy for a job is dependent on optimizing cost vs. performance based on the service environment and available products. Gibson Stainless supplies products for use in many different industries. Here are some examples of preferential alloys based on general service environments in the given industry. Contact the factory if you have specific questions on the preferable grade for your application and for pricing and availability.
- Food & Beverage Processing Facilities – dairy and vegetable processing environments are generally milder and 304 stainless is often sufficient; breweries and facilities processing meats, sauces, pickle liquors, etc. are often better served by the use of 316 stainless;
- Pharmaceutical Industry – generally 316 stainless is the best choice in these uses;
- Oil & Gas – 304 may be sufficient for use in oil and gas drilling and processing, but if the facility is located in a coastal or marine environment, 316 stainless is recommended;
- Pulp & Paper Mills – 316 stainless is recommended for these severe environments;
- Water & Sewage Treatment – 304 stainless if often sufficient for these environments;
- Marine & Coastal Applications – 316 stainless would be preferred for use in or near salt water;
- Heavy Industrial & Chemical Processing – 304 or 316 stainless could be used depending on the chemicals present in the environment; please contact the factory for assistance specifying an alloy, if necessary.